You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘Blogs!’ category.
…that looks like a poster for a Japanese horror movie.
Gluten-free and ghost-full,
As fate would have it, last week, KB blindly picked it during a holiday party’s white elephant gift exchange.
It’s now hanging in our living room… behind our front door,
With the recent wrap of my latest screenplay (The Gets), the reality of twelve new scripts in the next year is now, well, a reality. But rather than wait for 2015 to get started on the first of a dozen scripts, I’ve decided to get busy on Christmas Is Gonna Be Awkward This Year right away.
My process of writing scripts is a weird one. I never knew I had an odd process until I read how other writers went about writing scripts, but it works for me so I don’t really care if it’s odd or not.
I don’t create outlines, act breakdowns, or even one-page synopses of the scripts I write. Typically, I have no idea where any one scene is headed, or which scene it will lead me to next.
Instead, I develop a few key characters (in an extremely minimal way), and then create six bullet points: the first and last scenes of Acts I, II, and III. Most times, those six points are the only outline I have before starting a script; other times, I don’t even have that much. Sometimes I have four of the six points figured out; with America’s Guest, I had two.
Rather than having a story fully fleshed out before getting started, I create from things that have influenced and inspired me along the way. These can include stories, old acquaintances, funny sounding words, a bit of history, or even something as minor as something I overheard a stranger say.
I eavesdrop on the conversations of strangers frequently, especially in public spaces; sometimes, these conversations turn into character dialogue. Basically, I’m a collector of people’s thoughts.
That is to say, I pull inspiration from weird places. Today, I’d like to pull some of that inspiration from your weird place. (Heh… dirty.) Your head. (Heh… also dirty.)
Below is a 20-question survey. If you have a moment, I’d love for you to fill it out. You can either post your replies directly in the comments section (under your real name or anonymously), or (if you’d rather not flash your weirdness to the masses) you can email me your answers here.
No need to be overly detailed in your answers. I appreciate brevity, mostly because it allows/forces me to creatively expand on your answers.
None of the information below will be used as a full story (to be read: stolen). Instead, some of your answers might show up as a bit of color in one of my scripts. A name you recognize might appear as a tertiary character, or a brief scenario you outline might end up being the spark a bigger story arc. I’m not looking to take stories from anyone, but rather gather inspiration from your suggestions for what my stories might become.
So… here you go!
1. What is the name of the worst teacher you ever had (preferably, his/her full name)?
2. What made that teacher so awful? Specific, brief anecdotes appreciated.
3. Give me a word you think sounds funny.
4. Now, give me another one.
5. Tell me a short, supposedly true story you heard (at least) second-hand, like a “friend of a friend” type of tale. Specifically, a story so ridiculous sounding that you highly doubt its authenticity, but one that’s so amazing it also doesn’t keep you from spreading the lies.
6. Give me a word you think sounds gross.
7. Now, give me another one.
8. Where do you think would be the absolute worst place to get hit with a bout of diarrhea? Please be specific.
9. Tell me a short story of something that happened to you as a child that, at the time, you thought was life-ending, but looking back on it now is just silly and stupid.
10. Where’s the weirdest place you’d like to have sex? Not have had sex, but would like to have sex.
11. Name someone (non-famous) you think is a sweetheart (preferably, someone I don’t know).
12. Name someone (non-famous) you think is a shithead (preferably, someone I don’t know).
13. If you had a child and could name it anything you wanted without fear of ridicule or retribution from your family, friends, or society, what would you name it? Full names appreciated.
14. What was the worst gift you’ve ever received?
15. What was the worst gift you’ve ever given someone?
16. Finish this sentence as honestly as you can: “One time, I was so drunk/high, I _____.”
17. As a child, what was the strangest Halloween costume you ever trick-or-treated in?
18. If the eight-year-old you had owned a car, what would its vanity license plates have read?
19. Name an animal you think is total bullshit. Explain.
20. If you were a wrestler, what would your name be? Also, what would your finishing move be? Bonus points for creating a finishing move rather than naming an existing one.
Can’t wait to read these replies,
…but as of today I have gotten a postcard from there.
Those Tombstone royalty checks must have stopped,
Oh, fuck yeah.
The report is super long…
…and double sided.
And it all came in another sweet envelope.
Putting their money to good use,
…for this bag of Joe Coffee!
Already cracked it open,
…I know this video is a couple years old now, but it still makes me excited to get back home in a few days.
It’s been six months,